Friday, August 31, 2007

Week 7, Thing 15

I suppose the supreme mission of a library is to serve the needs of its patrons. My library is in a rural area where cell phone and other internet connectivity is spotty and sometimes nonexistent. And most of my patrons are older or do not have the money for gadgetry and so it is not a part of their lives. So, my library remains rather old school. And I actually like that. However, it is good for me to know how things are evolving so I can take what will work for my library and patrons and improve services.


Just the other day I conducted a basic internet how-to with a patron. She is a William Blake aficionado and so we used William Blake to practice and explore doing a search. We came up with the wiki type sites and also some blogs. She had no concept of a blog. After viewing a few she said "this can be transforming" meaning how your life can change by connecting with the "right" person. WOW. She just bought a laptop from Walmart and she is ready, having just turned 60, to transform her life. That's what it is about. Can I get an AMEN?!

No comments: